Mini basketball is often treated as more of a novelty, but it can provide essential hand/eye coordination skills to players… Here’s why: In the comfort of your very own bedroom, you can have some fun on your own or with a friend or sibling playing this game… It gets better: Mini basketball hoops can also be transformed into laundry hampers, trash cans, and other home essentials. If you are looking for a unique and fun way to work on your game, this could be it. For the best at-home indoor experience, take a look at our #1 recommended Spalding NBA Slam setup that has a realistic professional look and includes a 5″ rubber mini ball.
- The Best Chart for Mini Basketball Hoops
- Let’s Take a Look at Some Mini Hoop Reviews
- What Are the Benefits of Playing Mini Basketball?
- Preventing Damage While Playing Mini Basketball
- How to Find the Best Mini Basketball Hoops
- How Much Do the Best Mini Basketball Hoops Cost?
- What’s Next
The Best Chart for Mini Basketball Hoops
There are numerous mini basketball hoop designs that are out there today. Some of them are just cheap junk that won’t even stand up to the gameplay of a 4-year-old. Then there are these top-rated options that are definitely worth considering. They are made from sturdier materials and are built with materials such as polycarbonate for that professional edge. These mini hoops also look like real ones with the metal rim and the baseboard, so if you are a basketball enthusiast, it will be worth looking for these wall-mount hoops.
|#1 Spalding NBA Slam Jam Over-The-Door Mini Basketball Hoop|
For Indoor Play
|#2 Stumptown Sportz Mini Basketball Hoop|
Full Set ++
|#3 SKLZ Pro Mini Basketball Hoop (Standard)|
|#4 SKLZ Pro Mini Micro Hoop|
Comes with Foam Ball
|#5 NBA Game On Indoor Basketball Hoop & Ball Set|
Professional Grade Material
|#6 Silverback 18″ Over the Door Mini Basketball Hoop Set|
Easy Mounting with Extended Bracket
|#7 JustInTymeSports Wall Mounted Mini Basketball Hoop|
Let’s Take a Look at Some Mini Hoop ReviewsThe Spalding NBA Slam over-the-door mini basketball hoop gives you a steel-reinforced system that supports a 18×10.5-inch polycarbonate backboard. The bracket is preassembled and mounts right over a door foam padded bracket. The ball is 5 inches in diameter and responds fairly well to the rim, which is reasonably strong… But the best part is: What stands out the most with this particular system is the breakaway rim design, giving you a ¼ scale experience of an NBA game backboard. So if your mini-game is super aggressive, then this is the mini basketball hoop you’re going to want. It can’t even be considered as a toy because of how realistic it looks and how well its build is. It’s really a miniature version of the quality full-sized hoops you can find out there. It can withstand more than a little bit of rough usage. The problem that many mini basketball owners have isn’t with the quality of their backboard. It’s the inability to find where that little mini basketball wandered off too after you haven’t played in a little while. With this particular mini basketball set, you get two balls instead of one and a mini basketball pump to make sure that your gear is properly inflated. The rim is made of steel and has a breakaway design that flexes during dunks and gives a realistic bounce to a missed shot. The hanger and backboard are also padded to minimize damage and everything is backed by a complete 30-day money back guarantee. All in all, it is a good rim for all ages. Whether you are giving this as a present to a child or you are installing it in your room to use during your free time, it should serve its purpose well. This mini basketball hoop gets all of the basics right. First of all, it looks like a real basketball hoop. Then there’s the fact that the rim actually gives you some resistance so you can get a legitimate rebound off of the equipment. It’s also been given a backboard that is shatterproof so you can work on your mini dunking skills. Padding on the backboard and brackets helps to minimize door damage. Indoor mounts are included as well and installation only takes minutes. Get the glow-in-the-dark model for a really fun experience. For its price, it does have fairly good quality. The ring itself feels sturdy and the backboard is decent for its price. Kids can dunk their basketball in it without worrying that it will break.
4. NBA Game OnThis fully licensed mini basketball set features a backboard with the logo of your favorite NBA team. The ball is fiber-filled and has a polyester cover, which reduces the amount of kickback you’ll receive on a missed shot. The hoop is made from a molded plastic, as is the backboard, using a professional-grade polycarbonate. The basketball is a little larger than other sets at 5 inches in diameter, making it a little more difficult to hit that perfect swish. It also features the needed breakaway rim for bedroom dunking that may occur.
What Are the Benefits of Playing Mini Basketball?When you play full court basketball, you’re learning a game that can teach you many of the lessons that are needed in life. Basketball teaches competitiveness, sportsmanship, and the rewards that hard work can bring about. There are also a number of conditioning benefits that come from playing full-sized basketball. Although you won’t receive the same conditioning from mini basketball as you would from running up and down a full basketball court, it will still help you to burn some calories in a fun way. Mini basketball also heightens your coordination skills so that you can eye up a shot and knock it down with more consistency. If you have children, playing basketball with your kids can also be a good bonding opportunity. Go the extra mile and find something sturdier, not the toy ones, so everyone in the family will enjoy using them. You may also find these additional benefits might come your way when playing mini basketball.
- It lets you shore up your post-up play. There isn’t a lot of room to play mini basketball, so bring in a friend and work on your post-up moves. Backing down an opponent in your room can give you the confidence needed to back down an opponent during a basketball game.
- It teaches you attentiveness. Mini basketball leaves very little room for error. If your shot is too strong, then it will bounce off the wall and you lose possession. If it’s too soft, you’ll give up an easy rebound. It requires a certain attentiveness to recognize where you are in a game of mini basketball and if there is an advantage to shooting, which can reduce early shots in the real game.
- It creates good shooting habits. With the right mini basketball, you can still take a shot from the elbow. This movement mechanic can then translate into real game mechanics that support accurate shooting.
Preventing Damage While Playing Mini BasketballMany parents believe the greatest source of damage that can come from playing mini basketball is having their child crash into their door, smashing it to pieces. To some extent, they aren’t wrong. Slamming a mini basketball can be fun, but if your momentum is strong and aggressive, you could damage a door, the wall, or even yourself. Work on keeping yourself in control. That point of emphasis can translate into more control during key game time situations. Most mini basketball hoops are designed to fit over a door. You can then shut the door and have a mechanism to support the backboard. Even when plastic brackets are used to hold the basketball hoop in place, any movement of the backboard will scrape the varnish off of the door and potentially ruin the upper trim and door jamb. You’ll want to make sure you have a nice, tight fit before playing. If the backboard is loose, then you’ll damage your door eventually. For the mini basketball hoops that are mounted to a wall, it is important to make sure the hoop has been installed onto a stud. If you hook the basketball hoop into the drywall only, the impact of the basketball will eventually rip the anchor out of the drywall. That will leave you with a gaping hole that can be a real pain to repair. Using a studfinder will help you create a successful installation in just minutes.
How to Find the Best Mini Basketball HoopsWhen you walk down the aisle of your average retail store toy section, you’re bound to find some mini basketball hoops. They will have some popular cartoon characters on them, perhaps on the ball as well, and you’ll get a flimsy plastic hoop that works with a cardboard backboard. Although some of these basketball hoops are fairly well made if you’re willing to shop outside of the $5 and under range, it’s often a hit-or-miss proposition. The best mini basketball hoops are built just like their portable cousins that you’d use in the driveway. Look for polycarbonate or transparent plastic backboards that have framing to support the product’s stability. The basketball should be sized appropriately for the rim and only have enough rubber to support a short rebound. If you shoot the ball and miss, you don’t want it going at full speed toward your closest light fixture. There are also three types of nets that can be found on today’s best mini basketball hoops.
- The traditional net simulates a real basketball experience.
- Longer solid fabric nets can deposit a made shot to the floor or be used to put clothes into a laundry hamper or trash into a receptacle.
- Short solid fabric nets create directional control for the ball, but eliminate the option of having a receptacle.