Ever since its conception, basketball has grown to be one of the most popular sports in the world. Several organizations dedicated to the sport have been assembled in several countries. International sporting events, such as the Olympics, play host to basketball games wherein almost every state has a team to represent them. On a smaller scale, makeshift basketball courts can be seen on some home backyards and city streets around the world.
Different Kinds of Basketball Hoops
If you want to have a basketball set-up on your home, or want to make one in an empty lot near your place, you have to determine what basketball hoop will suit your needs. There are two kinds of hoops you can choose from: in-ground hoops and portable hoops.
- In-Ground HoopsThese are basketball hoops that are built to be fixed in the ground, as the name suggests. Since it’s designed to be permanently positioned, these hoops are usually made from more robust materials, such as metal or steel, so that it can withstand the wear and tear brought about by the elements and repeated use. Some street courts and stadiums utilize in-ground hoops since they are tough enough to last game after game, day after day.
– The other kind of basketball hoop is the portable hoop. From the name itself, these are hoops that allow people to transfer them from court to court. For more effortless transfer, portable hoops are made from light materials, ranging from plastic to non-heavy metals. Some also have wheels so they can be dragged around with ease. Portable hoops can be seen in home backyards and multi-purpose public venues.
Choosing between in-ground vs. portable basketball hoop can be hard since both kinds have pros and cons. It’s essential for you to figure out what type of hoop will fit your requirements.
How to Determine The Right Basketball Hoop For You
To further help you in determining what kind of hoop will suit you, try answering the following questions:
- Where will I use the hoop? – Will you be installing the hoop on a permanent court, or will you need to move the hoop around at certain times? If your desired venue is used for other purposes, you may need to have a portable hoop. Otherwise, if the area will be dedicated to basketball, go for an in-ground hoop since it is sturdier.
- Who will be using the hoop? – It’s also crucial for you to choose a hoop that can withstand the forces being applied to it. Portable hoops are made with light materials, so if the players tend to dunk a lot, in-ground hoops are more advisable. However, if only kids will use the hoop or if it won’t be frequently utilized, then a portable hoop may work for you.
- What is my budget? – Not all basketball hoops are priced equally. Those made from heavier materials and with more established brands demand a bigger budget from customers. Make sure that you have sufficient funds for your targeted hoop style, or try to look for something more economically manageable for you.
Once you have an answer to all of these questions, you will be able to make a better decision on what basketball hoop to buy for your ideal set-up.
Some Samples of Basketball Hoops per Kind
Here are some examples of basketball hoops that you can choose from.
- Lifetime 90020 In-Ground Hoop – If you’re looking for an in-ground basketball hoop with a low price, this is a good option for you. It’s an in-ground hoop made from light polycarbonate and stands at up to ten feet. This is an excellent hoop to buy if you’re setting up a permanent court on your home backyard for your kids to use. Unfortunately, the light material means that it will shake and rattle when being used, so the hoop is not advised for heavy play.
- Spalding NBA In-Ground Basketball System – Even though it came from a more established brand, this basketball hoop is still at the lower end of the price spectrum. However, that does not mean it has mediocre quality. This in-ground hoop is made by a brand that is associated with basketball, so expect it to withstand even the toughest plays. The backboard is made from tempered glass, so rebounds will be better compared to hoops made from other materials. Rattling and shaking are also minimized.
- Pro Dunk Hercules – This is a premium-priced in-ground hoop made from high-quality materials. It features a height adjustment mechanism that can bring the hoop down to five and a half feet for kids. It’s also made to be sturdy enough to withstand rattling and shaking, so it’s safe to use even for intense play. It’s an excellent investment if you want to set-up a permanent court. The hoop is guaranteed to last for a long time.
- Silverback NXT Portable Basketball Hoop – This is a portable basketball hoop with a mid-range price. It’s made from light yet sturdy material and has built-in wheels for a smooth transfer. It can also be assembled in less than two hours, so set-up is a breeze. You can choose from a fifty-inch or a fifty-four-inch backboard, depending on your needs.
- Spalding 60-Inch Portable Basketball System – From the brand name itself, this hoop is guaranteed to be of high quality. It’s a portable hoop with a 40-gallon base that can be filled with water or sand for more stability. It also has a mid-range price tag, which means you can own a Spalding hoop without breaking the bank.
- Lifetime 52” Portable Basketball Hoop – This is a budget-friendly basketball hoop that features a 52” backboard and a 35-gallon base for stability. The height is adjustable from 7.5 feet to 10 feet, making it suitable for players of all ages and heights. The hoop is also light enough to be moved around without too much effort.
Once you set your mind to what you’ll choose between an in-ground vs. portable basketball hoop, you’ll be one step closer to having the makeshift court of your dreams. Just remember to keep your requirements in mind when selecting the hoop you will eventually invest in. Our guide to the best portable basketball hoops is the best place to start looking!